Thursday, December 10, 2020

My Top 20 Worst Songs of 2020

Welcome to my first year-end post of 2020! This post will simply be ranking my top 20 worst songs of 2020. Now in hindsight of this year, there weren't really waves of bad music. Sure, there were some pinpoints which is what this list is for, but surprisingly, I only came up with 26 songs.  I couldn't find too many bad songs based on the original requirements put in place to consider a song a "hit". To be honest, the real requirements ended up being 15+ weeks on Billboard, Year-End on Billboard of course, and Hits 1 songs. Through all that, still just 26. Seems very off considering I did Top 25 of last year, but it shows that there weren't a lot of bad songs, really just mediocre and up. However, these songs I especially found bad so they rightfully should be on here. Remember, this is subjective to me and I ask that you respect that. Anyways, let's get started.

#20 is a song that's been in purgatory on how I feel for a while now, and to be honest it has improved and the artist itself has been progressing with their music and this song was a sign of it. However, with limited contenders, it fell here...

20. Billie Eilish- everything I wanted

Yeah, what a great way to start the list (sarcasm by the way). To be honest, the only real problem with this song is that it just feels very empty in terms of production and it seems as if little effort was put in. Yes, I know that Billie's style is this, and indeed it's the best of her worst, but I feel this had a lot more potential. The hook is pretty decent, but everything else just seems to hold it down.

Onto 19 and this song is a relatively new song, but I don't understand who this artist and where they came from, but not a good first impression.

19. ROLE MODEL- going out

So uhhhh for not listening to this too many times, I'll likely keep this short. I mean the first few seconds of the song already sets a shallow standard, and it just seems it can't keep up. Washed vocals, really difficult to manage hook, and a cheap production can produce. Again, I've heard him with other songs and he's not too bad, but why was this the hit we let him have?

This song might be the most controversial one thus far, and I can see why people like it, but it just simply not my thing...

18. Noah Cyrus/Leon Bridges- July

Yes, this was a hit don't ask me that, tell Billboard. Anyway, I didn't know how to feel because I never really listened to it until recently, and when I did, nothing sat well with me. Again, a song that had potential that seem, washed up and incomplete. The scrappy acoustic guitar production, Noah's mediocre vocals, Leon does okay, and that whistling is a big no-no. In all respect, I thought this song would've been worse because Noah Cyrus is not the best artist sometimes, but this isn't too bad, definitely not a 0/10, maybe 1.5/10 I don't know to be honest.

Bout time we had a country song make an appearance, and to be honest, the country wasn't all that bad, mediocre at its worst sometimes really good or well that would be "country" but still.

17. Kane Brown- Homesick

It's the Patrick Mahomes of country, or well at least it looks like him (take that as a compliment Kane). Anyway, yeah this song doesn't settle well with me. I mean the song's more boring than bad, so that's it fell here. Yes, the message is cute and all, but really, the production and vocals are just unfinished and incomplete. One thing I hate is "singling", which is my way of saying singing/talking. Precisely what he does a fair amount of times throughout the song. Oh yeah, thanks for name-dropping yourself I didn't know who you were until this, definitely didn't...

This is more obnoxious than boring than the last one...

16. Luke Bryan- One Margarita

The autotune on that hook is hilarious, like it just sounds obnoxious, like it's bad but funny. Overall, the contents of this song just aren't it, so welp good job Luke Bryan you made another follow-up bad single that country radio somehow loves.

For a guy notorious for guaranteed shitty hits, this is the first time he's had something this low on the worst chart...

15. 6ix9ine- GOOBA

All I'm saying is that if he didn't scream this song would be pretty decent. That's it.

So remember when the Jonas Brothers reunited last year and everybody went bat shit crazy over it and even got them a song at #1 and made it a Top 10 hit of last year...yeah, that was fun. Fast forward to this year and this group gets back together and people somewhat care. Anyways, yeah they made damage to the chart, and my ears, mostly my ears but you know, nobody cares.

14. Black Eyed Peas/J Balvin- RITMO (Bad Boys For Life)

So uh yeah about this. This was an embarrassment for a return I'm sorry to say. I mean the attempted re-make has like a mashup of 5 songs, with a choppy ass production & hook. The vocals are just horrible, and J Balvin kind of carries the song. Oh yeah, the choice of Spanglish and how BEP uses it makes me sound like I can speak Spanish with actual pronunciation, and that's bad especially for them.

Ok so I know this year a few famous & upcoming artists rappers, unfortunately, passed away, and their music surfaced like crazy when they died. I'm gonna feel guilty for putting this man on the worst list, but a bad song is a bad song and with minimal contenders, it just so happened to fall here...

13. Pop Smoke- Got It On Me

Yeah, so this song...not his worst, but probably his second-worst. Now I don't exactly know if this was finished by the time he died, but if it was finished, I have many questions. His voice sounds very very bad in here, and he's really offbeat and it just sounds like a mixture of awkward and weird. The production seems very washy and scattered and the whole song seems like a mess. Now there is some quality that I salvageable, especially towards the end. Like said with a few songs, potential that was just unfortunately wasted.

Surprisingly, rap wasn't too bad this year, in fact, it got better a substantial amount. This song gave me paranoia that rap was going back to shit, but thank god that possible illusion was wrong.

12. Lil Baby- Sum 2 Prove

This song is the start of the 1/10s and for good reason too: the mess that is that production. Oh yeah, and Lil Baby's vocals hurt my ears. It is a good thing that Lil Baby has progressed further and further with his quality because now I don't see him as a bad artist. I just hope this was a mirage rather than a thing to come.

Maybe Lizzo is not the best artist around, especially after this song surfaced.

11. Lizzo- Cuz I Love You

Keeping this one short & simple. Her voice is awful, and that production is just a mess to the point where it's atrocious. I don't how people can manage with this song. ImMMMmmMM CrYiNg CUz I LoooVVEeee YOuUuUuUuUuUUUuuUu. I swear she's singing in cursive in that hook.

Now it's Top 10 and what a great to start off with a song that has been a laughing stock for may this year...

10. Dixie D'Amielo- Be Happy

I'm not even going to explain this one, my question is who the hell can like this, and if you can explain why greatly appreciated. Her new song slaps doe...

Yeah so the next two were tough in what place to rank them, but they both are really bad so I'll cover both instead.

9. HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson- One Beer
&
8. Brett Young- Catch

Both songs literally have the same faults and soft spots. We got a really bad production that sounds messy & boring, vocals that just aren't good and by god, the lyrics are just awful, and when someone like me notices lyrics and pays attention to them, normally that isn't a good sign. The only distinct part was the hooks with Catch being more awful than One Beer, but One Beer still had a pretty bad hook too.

So uhhh I know this song is relatively new and I understand that, but we all knew it was a hit. Plus, it was on Hits 1 so double whammy.

7. Justin Bieber/benny blanco- Lonely

What the hell Justin you were on to something dude. "A new era of music begins" for Justin as he said. Welp, I didn't think a shitty piano ballad over you kinda venting about your personal life and what fame and wealth made you. Really can't tell if your bragging or not because damn it just sounds bad anyway. I'm more thrown off and pissed off that this is what he calls "a new chapter of music" to him. We go from Baby to Beauty With A Beat to Where Are U Now to being Sorry to Love(ing) Yourself to the point where you (I) Don't Care to spending 10,000 Hours to find love to then to being horny in Yummy then to have good Intentions to then being Holy in more of sexual manner than your Lonely, but now you're a Monster? Now I don't know what the hell is going on with your "new era of music", but geez there are way too many mood swings in your damn discography and you've gone from talking about others to yourself? That's simply a no-no for me, I understand the message, but I don't care I just want quality and this ain't it chief. Oh yeah, and there's benny blanco (why did you bother to produce this...).

Ok, so this next has made an appearance on this worst list and it's valid because if this song can be a hit for 2 years it can make my worst for two years.

6. Lewis Capaldi- Someone You Loved

If you wanna know my thought, find last year's post in the YE posts of 2019 section. Anyways, the only improvement is production, voice sounds way worse than I remember too.

Oh yeah so remember BLACKPINK was an upcoming K-Pop group which people stanned because K-Pop. Well you see, they went mainstream this year and this is what happened...

5. BLACKPINK- How You Like That

It sounds like a good song until you hear the slight change in production and the vocals. I mean I'm very brute because I can't get angry at a K-Pop song. Anyways, holy shit what the hell is that production on the hook and chorus, because that doesn't sound normal at all. This is why K-Pop needs to not be allowed at this rate.

So remember Pop Smoke, right? Well, he's back, but mind you this song was, I believe, out when he died so it's not like I'm going to be shitting on a posthumous single.

4. Pop Smoke- Dior

And if you thought I was sarcastic, you will be mistaken here. You see for the mainstream rap lovers this would be hella controversial, wouldn't it? Quite frankly, this song has rarely any quality to it. A really hardcore trap house beat that is just utterly crap and just makes the song start off with the bad vibe. I can't tell if Pop Smoke tryna rap because nothing's rhyming and he just too many awkward pauses for my liking. Oh yeah, his voice is worse than Got It On Me and that's pretty bad. So yeah, the worst Pop Smoke definitely is this one right here.

Referred to #5's intro and you got it...Oh yeah and Selena Gomez comes for what reason...

3. BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez- Ice Cream

I cringe at the lyrics. So apparently it's a shitty and scrappy production with BLACKPINK not doing shit and Selena Gomez identifies herself as ice cream...interesting. Anyways, here's some of well thought out lyrics by songwriters like Ariana Grande, Victoria Monet, Selena Gomez, & Jung Seo:
  • "Get it free like Willy"
  • "You could take a lick but it's too cold to bite me"
  • "You're the one been chosen (nice grammar). Play the part like Moses."
  • "Catch me in the fridge, where the ice be."
  • "Come put me in a cone"
  • "You're a cherry piece, you can stay on top of me."
  • "Like it, love it, lick it."
  • "Think you fly, boy, where's your visa? Mona Lisa kinda Lisa (da fuq that supposed to mean)"
  • "Get the bag with the cream if you know what I mean." 😳😳😳😳
So basically they made a seemingly innocent song sound like it's the ditched script from a por- you know what I'm not gonna finish that. What the hell is this embarrassment.

Enough with that anyway, this #2 was the #1 until redo and it fell to 2 so great job on managing that one...

2. DJ Khaled/Drake- POPSTAR

Yeah, this song is just a complete mess and disappointment for these two artists. Cheap, trappy-ass production with an empty and washed beat added to it. Drake sounds like he doesn't give shits about the song and just kinda is monotone the whole freaking time. Hell, he even sounds bored with the song because his enthusiasm just isn't there. Also, I don't think I heard a DJ Khaled in there so that's already a low standard. Yeah, this basically feels like a song that loaded in 50% of the way through and they said, "ehh skip the rest, release it now, guaranteed to get big you know?"

Ok were down to the worst song of this year, but first, the six honorable mentions that made this list:

DHM 1. 6ix9ine/Nicki Minaj- Trollz
DHM 2. Harry Styles- Falling
DHM 3. Billie Eilish- my future
DHMs 4 & 5. Alec Benjamin- Demons & Oh My God
DHM 6. Chris Brown/Drake- No Guidance (Yes, again)

This final song is...something special. You know this pandemic has thrown a curveball at us and we've found ways to many innovative & productive tasks that we've come to love. Music has been a whole different story, as many new artists and genres have been discovered in our boredom from the "new normal" (by the way it ain't the "new normal" if it's gonna stop). All that aside, how the HELL is taking their time to listen to this SHIT to make it a HIT.

1. JP Saxe/Julia Michaels- If The World Was Ending

No seriously, what the hell guys. How is this song remotely good, please explain. Choppy ass production, Julia Michaels sounding bad like always and JP Saxe sounds bored and disinterested with his own damn song. I mean c'mon, who would play this song if the world was actually ending? NO ONE. NO ONE IS PLAYING THIS. THIS DOESN'T EVEN SOUND LIKE THE RIGHT MUSIC TO PLAY DURING THE END OF THE WORLD. After all, the only thing that thinks it's ending is my eardrums because I can't get through a whole damn song of this bullshit. This whole song feels like it was sketched in pencil 20,000 times and still came out looking like something straight out of a kindergarten art show for parent night. I don't know what that means either, but I can tell you, that's pretty shitty. They go from "OMG THE WORLD'S ENDING PLEASE HELP, COME OVER BECAUSE YOU STILL LOVE ME, RIGHT? RIGHT?!?!?!" to "You felt that?", "Nah", "Bett". So what was the point of this song then? WHAT WAS THE POINT?! Now if it's to poke fun at the people that deadass thought the world was ending that's a double-sided blade that y'all can try to handle. For all of this, you've established yourself as the worst song of 2020 and it would be recommended that you stay the radio stations I occasionally will tune in to because why not.

With that, I round out this post so yeah congratulations I guess for these being noticed by me for once. Anyways, look out for a personal chart for 12/5/20 tomorrow and hope y'all have a good day/afternoon/night.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post! (Also, I think If the World Was Ending was released in either January or February)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fact-checked meself and apparently it was actually released October 2019... which just kind of proves my point more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but it became more of a hit this year too.

      Delete