Friday, December 27, 2019

Hits 1's Top 45 of 2019

Merry Christmas and welcome back to another Year-End post! Anyways, this time we're going the Top 45 of Hits 1. Overall this year was okay, to be honest. I mean we had a lot of mixed bag weeks here. And for our #1's, good for the most part I mean we've had some random ones for sure, but hey. Also, we will be grading off-color code for YE posts. However, Dark Blue and Red will be for Top 5 and Bottom 5, respectively. Anyways, let's begin.

Hits 1's Top 45 of 2019

45. Lizzo- Good As Hell (5/5; Great) Peak: #3
First off we have Lizzo making 1 of 2 entries here. Well, this is the best out of the three that have touched so far. Now, I really like the production here as it seems very simple but catchy. However, my one thing that is a major turn-off is her voice. Thankfully, she doesn't pull that her and that's good, to be honest. However, I'll keep this short because she'll appear next year and some Year-End list, possibly this one.

44. Post Malone- Circles (5/5; Great) Peak: #2
Now we have Post Malone. See, he also will probably make next year as well so we'll keep this short too. Now, this song is out of Post's style, but hell, Hollywood's Bleeding was a mixture of a ton of stuff so hey, he's doing something new. Here, I really like even though at first it was hard to latch too. He has a very soft production, but his voice is nice. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a "weak hit" because, yes, it is, but nevertheless it's good.

43. OneRepublic- Rescue Me (4/5; Good) Peak: #12
This is my first surprise on this list considering it really wasn't a hit. Anyways, yeah this song is very random and an "excuse" for OneRepublic to still hang on. However, this is a really good excuse because hey it's good. I mean, something doesn't fully click here, but everything is nice. It's probably because the song was a bit underwhelming because of Counting Stars being beyond amazing. Overall, this song was very random and had a shorter run to be on here, to be honest.

42. TWENTY ØNE PILØTS- The Hype (3/5; Decent) Peak: #9
Welp, this is ok. I mean what do I say, there's nothing to it. The production is just there and the vocals are okay. I mean after My Blood and Chlorine (which we get to later) I wasn't expecting anything better from them. Yes, this is the best out of the three but that's not saying anything. I mean this song is decent, fine, I guess.

41. Halsey- Graveyard (4/5; Good) Peak: #3
Ok so I liked this song at first, but now it's just getting boring. I mean the chorus is okay but underwhelming now, but her voice and production are good. If this makes next year expecting to be less likable from me because like I don't know it's really boring.

40. Lauv/Troye Sivan- ...i'm so tired (3/5; Decent) Peak: #12
Damn, it must be pretty easy to land a song on this list because this song didn't last too long if we're being honest. Anyways, I've never liked Troye or Lauv so I didn't expect much. Really it's only the production holding this and the transitions. Overall, their voices make it a snoozefest but the production is the thing to keep me awake.

39. Katy Perry- Never Really Over (4/5; Good) Peak: #10
Welp, this was a HUGE flop. Anyways, the song is good. I really like the chorus and pre-chorus. However, I feel like everything needs a bit more support to be great. I can't really say much because this came and went too fast to remember.

38. Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello- Señorita (5/5; Great) Peak: #3
This song underperformed here for sure, or well at least compared to everything else. Now this song is just crashing hard on Hits 1. I thought it would've gone higher and longer, but people got annoyed apparently. Yes, this song did get a bit annoying and that's why it's #8 most-liked here but #5 on my personal YE based on the songs on the list. So yeah, overplay moved a song lower than it, statistically. Anyways, Camila does good, Shawn's great, and the production is cool.

37. Post Malone/Swae Lee- Sunflower (5/5; Great) Peak: #11
Still kinda pissed about peaking where it is because it deserves a lot more. Swae does fairly well here and it impresses me. Post throw out some melody here too and that brings together the song. The production is great though it's very simple and repeated. Overall, this song did fairly well overall so yeah, good job.

36. The Chainsmokers/Bebe Rexha- Call You Mine (4.5/5; Pretty Good) Peak: #5
Whoops, kind of forgot the song was here. Anyways, yeah that's cool I guess. This song is pretty good, I like the vocals and the guitar riff. However, the drop and chorus now seem underwhelming, but the pre-chorus is great and all. But yeah, this song is solid, but the chorus was under-done.

35. Jonas Brothers- Cool (2/5; Mediocre) Peak: #1, 1 week
Jonas Brothers are back and yeah this blows. I mean thank goodness they came back with Sucker which we'll get to later, but this... Yeah, what do I say the production is okay the lyrics are just cheesy and my god that chorus is just irritating. I don't understand why they put this as a follow-up. But hey, you do you I guess.

34. P!NK- Walk Me Home (3/5; Decent) Peak: #3
Welp snoozefest alert. I mean, Hustle and Can We Pretend were great, but this. Her voice is good and all, but really with the sleepy ass production, I can't comprehend. The chorus is okay for the most part. Overall, I feel like more effort should've gone into this and it sucks that it didn't. It could've been so much more than it is.

33. Sam Smith/Normani- Dancing With A Stranger (3.5/5; Decently Good) Peak: #7
This song a shrinker for sure. I mean I almost was close to not being able to stand the song. Sam Smith does okay and Normani is pretty good mostly because I like her voice overall. The production just lacks a lot upon listening to it again so yeah a shrinker for sure, I don't expect it to grow again.

32. Panic! At The Disco- Dancing's Not A Crime (3/5; Decent) Peak: #10
Random song alert. Anyways, the production is weird as hell, but it's groovy to a degree. His voice is okay, but the chorus is a bit grating. I didn't expect much because it was random and it's the worst of the 5 that touched the countdown (Roaring 20s is better, fight me). Anyways, yeah nothing special overall and pretty decent, almost mediocre.

31. Khalid/Disclosure- Talk (4.5/5; Pretty Good) Peak: #6
Probably a big sleeper hit this among most of us. This is a bit out of Khalid's style when it comes to production and that what probably doesn't make it complete here. His voice is great and the production is too, but when you combine them, a full connection doesn't come out between the two. Nevertheless, a good song that I didn't mind.

30. Ariana Grande- 7 Rings (4.5/5; Pretty Good) Peak: #5
Another surprise here. This song literally rose to its peak and just crashed off the list which was quite shocking.  Anyways, the production is good even though its sampled, lyrics are shitty but whatever, and her voice is good. So yeah, it's not the worst song overall, but nothing special.

29. Ariana Grande- thank u, next (4.5/5; Pretty Good) Peak: #4
Back to back, eh? Anyways, yeah same track as 7 Rings but it lasted a bit longer overall. Anyways, the production is great, the lyrics are nice, and her voice is good but nothing special. Yes, this is better than 7 Rings, but not by TOO much if we're being honest. This was a hit so yeah another underperformed song on Hits 1.

28. Ed Sheeran/Khalid- Beautiful People (2/5; Mediocre) Peak: #1, 1 week
Very disappointed with both of these people. Ed's voice is grating and the production that goes with it just spells disaster. However, Khalid does better but not by much which is aggravating. Anyways, I'm very confused why this hit #1 though it really was kind of there. I mean we could've let more deserving songs there but whatever.

27. Alec Benjamin- If We Have Each Other (3/5; Decent) Peak: #3
Surprise #3 for me. This song got popular, where? Anyways, this song is decent. The production is decent, but his voice now I've realized, brings it down. I don't know maybe a faster tempo beat isn't his best style, but hey it worked a bit. But yeah, you want borderline decent, here's some random "hit".

26. Billie Eilish- bad guy (5/5; Great) Peak: #10
Underperformed. This is a really fun song especially coming from Billie Eilish and her style. The production is very weird but groovy as hell. Her voice is lit and the lyrics and really wacc but okay since she's 18 now. Anyways, yeah I can't explain much because it's just weird but fun and gives off a pull I can't know why and how.

25. Lizzo- Truth Hurts (4/5; Good) Peak: #2
I used to hate this song. Now, it's just too fun to dislike. The production is great, but her voice is just ya know, not the best. The lyrics mean a lot to the song's name. Overall, what can I say to a song from 2017? It's just here and pretty good but like...RIiIiIIIiNnNnGGGgg.

24. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus- Old Town Road (Remix) (5/5; Great) Peak: #7
What do I say for this song? This is just fun and enjoyable af. Like, the production is great and both of their voices are amazing. Don't even question the lyrics I don't care about them. For a song that broke so many records left and right, this is definitely a great song to remember.

23. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie- ME! (5/5; Great) Peak: #2
The song I really like from Taylor Swift, and it mainly because of Brendon Urie, sorry. See, I've never liked Taylor Swift because her country wasn't good but I hate the majority of country music. Her nice girl, fun phase, nope. Her "bad bitch" phase, competes with the worst phase of her, and this phase, her chill-ish phase? still nope. Anyways, the production is good, Brendon is great here with his flow, and then Taylor does okay because I don't like spelling, just kidding, but yeah she's okay.

22. Dan + Shay- Speechless (3/5; Decent) Peak: #9
Very decent song from them, see I don't what it is. It's pretty boring, but it's growing. I think it's just the lack of personality in the song because well, that's how it is. Vocals and production are good, just it really isn't my style.

21. MAX/Quinn XCII- Love Me Less (5.5/5; Amazing)
This still slaps, to be honest. From the vocals to Quinn's verse. Holy wow, it flows too much. Yes, I know I'll get major backlash but I will stand by this song every time. MAX and Quinn do amaze me it's just outstanding what they've put up. Man, this is amazing.

20. TWENTY ØNE PILØTS- Chlorine (2/5; Mediocre) Peak: #11
Very disappointing. After all, the lyrics are quite questionable, but we won't get too far into that. The vocals are just whatever, they sound the same in all of their songs. The production is too simple and empty to be fun or have anything. Also, with the production, they find no flow within the song as they have the faster tempo part not matching with anything.

19. Anne-Marie- 2002 (4/5; Good) Peak: #3
Huh, I really don't remember this song. This was another random "hit" here and well, I don't know. The song is a cliche in itself. Do I mind it? Not at all. In fact, I like the fun production and her voice is great. I think it's the fact that it's very forgettable, but to be this high is impressive.

18. Ed Sheeran/Justin Bieber- I Don't Care (4/5; Good) Peak: #5
So yeah this was big. Anyways, the flow here is great from both of them and their voices are great. However, it really comes down to the production here that brings it down. After all, it's amazing here, but it really lacks something. Also, the fact that it was a hit, especially on the radio, just makes the production a bit annoying. Overall, a very good hit, but not something to listen to all day, every day.

17. Imagine Dragons- Bad Liar (4/5; Good) Peak: #6
This song is really good. I like the vocals from Dan and everything is just very elegant and nice. Like said, with I Don't Care, there is something missing in the production. Now, Whatever It Takes, Natural and Believer were all great because it was mainly the production. Machine and Thunder were both shitty because of their production and wack vocals. This is the dead center of the two, but leaning towards the former group. So overall, good but underdone.

16. Marshmello/CHVRCHES- Here With Me (3/5; Decent) Peak: #5
Ugh man, this got annoying. How it was great when I first heard it. However, the stanning of it here and just in general, made it shrink, quickly. Let's be honest, this had okay production, but the vocals are good. You can blame the stans of Hits 1 and overplay here for ruining a song with great potential in my opinion.

15. Ellie Goulding/Diplo/Swae Lee- Close To Me (5.75/5; Amazingly Outstanding) Peak: #7
Woohoo, here we go. Where do I start? I mean first off, still pissed that they took out, Swae's part but I'm going t talk about it. Also, we'll keep this short since this will appear later in other year-end posts. Swae and his flow is just amazing here with he awesome production put up through Diplo. This gained my respect for Diplo since his Major Lazer and LSD works aren't the best as a whole. Ellie does fantastic here with her voice and the way she works with the production. Yes, this seems out of her style since the last song I've seen here do something is either On My Mind or the one with Calvin Harris which I can't recall. Overall, out-freaking-standing.

14. Taylor Swift- You Need To Calm Down (0.5/5; What the hell) Peak: #1, 1 week
My point on how I dislike Taylor Swift with a passion. The production is weird and I don't buy it. Her vocals are just simple, the lyrics are stupid because they contribute to nothing. The chorus makes my ears bleed. I don't how one can thoroughly enjoy this song daily.

13. Hasley- Nightmare (2.5/5; Mediocrely Decent) Peak: #2
This shrunk a bit, to be honest. I like her flow, but let's be honest on one thing. The chorus doesn't fit and ruins the song. I mean, after all, she has god flow in her verses and the production is pretty chill there. However, you have to endure the crappy chorus. Halsey has never really stuck with me and this was a good opportunity that was missed.

12. 5 Seconds Of Summer- Easier (5/5; Great) Peak: #1, 3 weeks
Oof this song is good. Sure people don't like because it's not a band song, but frankly, I don't care. I like the vocals and the production is very simple but very catchy. The chorus can seem annoying, but I like so it's like great. I really don't what to say right now.

11. Alec Benjamin- Let Me Down Slowly (5/5; Great) Peak: #4
Oof I'm going to hate on this one. What do I say it's a nice little plead during a break-up song. The production is very nice and soothing. The lyrics are very powerful and paint a picture. His voice, though sounding like a kid, really fits here if I'm being honest. Overall, a nice little song that I can enjoy.

10. Panic! At The Disco- High Hopes (5/5; Great) Peak: #1, 8 weeks (2018) YE 2018: #4
Huh, never knew a song could land twice here. Anyways, this song has never gotten annoying. The upbeat production gives a nice vibe from the start and is able to keep that energy throughout the song. The vocals from Brendon are really great as he is able to work with the production throughout the song. What can I say, this song is very nice and groovy and will never get annoying.

9. Shawn Mendes- If I Can't Have You (5.75/5; Amazingly Oustanding) Peak: #1, 9 weeks
Oof this is great as well. Where do we start? The piano keys being slammed almost at the beginning give us a really great vibe. The chorus is just outstanding and the vocals from Shawn give off a very relaxed and soothing vibe that works with the contradicting production. Overall, the chemistry works amazingly and a great hit song for sure.

8. Lewis Capaldi- Someone You Loved (-1/5; Crap) Peak: #1, 3 weeks
No. Just no. I don't get the appeal to this song in the slightest way possible. The screeching, crappy production, basic lyrics. This is a cliche ballad with nothing special to it. Lewis Capaldi is a very bad breakout artist thus far, with Hold Me While You Wait missing the countdown (thank god it's bad), and then Before You Go which is borderline decent...yeah no, not looking good.

7. Marshmello/BΔSTILLE- Happier (3.5/5; Decently Good) Peak: #1, 2 weeks (2018)
This did not age well. It got really annoying and the drop just lost its flare, to be honest. Dan's vocals are good, but everything else is pretty decent. Marshmello has done WAY better and it's a shame none of these songs touched fame, but this one did.

6. Ava Max- Sweet But Psycho (5/5; Great) Peak: #2
I don't care how generic this song is, it's great. Her vocals are nice and are able to work with the production. The chorus is great and really gains my respect for Ava Max. Now, Torn is one of my favorites from her and she has major potential.

5. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini- This Feeling (3/5; Decent) Peak: #1, 7 weeks (3 in '18, 4 in '19)
This song didn't age well at all, to be honest. See I've never fully enjoyed this song and the fact they've overplayed it like hell didn't help. The vocals are decent, but the drop is very mediocre now. I mean I don't what to say, I definitely wouldn't come back to this song.

4. Halsey- Without Me (1/5; Bad) Peak: #1, 5 weeks
No. This song has gotten a bit better in terms of production, but her voice still sucks. I can't comprehend why. There was no need to do it while crying, it made it worse. Anyways, yeah this song will likely stay bad unless something hits me overnight.

3. Jonas Brothers- Sucker (6/5; Best Song) Peak: #1, 13 weeks
Shocker. This was stanned the most I thought. Welp, in the end, it crashed recently to the Bottom 5 so that's tough. Nevertheless, this song has never disappointed me and it'll stay like that. The starting gives a nice jolt of energy. Nick's voice is just elegant and nice. The pre-chorus from Joe is amazing and the chorus is all the elements and boom, it works. We can't forget about Kevin, so amazing job on the production. Overall, this song is truly amazing and a great comeback single.

2. Panic! At The Disco- Hey Look Ma, I Made It (4/5; Good) Peak: #1, 3 weeks
Longevity rules. After all, being the longest-tenured song I'm not surprised at all. The production is good and his vocals are good. However, the chorus is quite underwhelming and just doesn't work for me. However, it just brings it all together in the end so I'm not complaining one bit.

1. The Chainsmokers/5 Seconds Of Summer- Who Do You Love (5.5/5; Amazing) Peak: #1, 2 weeks
Longevity rules lol. This likely infuriates many. However, its chart run reflects its position here. To be here since March and to hit #1 in August, when it wasn't on anyone's radar just meant it was going to go high. Yes, Hits 1 stan these two groups, but I'm not complaining here. The song is really good with vocals. The production is nice and the drop slaps every time. Some say it's the worst, but it's really not. Anyways, I'm happy with this being here, it's good after all.

Final Rankings
45. Lewis Capaldi- Someone You Loved
44. Taylor Swift- You Need To Calm Down
43. Halsey- Without Me
42. Ed Sheeran/Khalid- Beautiful People
41. Jonas Brothers- Cool
40. TWENTY ØNE PILØTS- Chlorine
39. Halsey- Nightmare
38. TWENTY ØNE PILØTS- The Hype
37. Panic! At The Disco- Dancing's Not A Crime
36. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini- This Feeling
35. Lauv/Troye Sivan- ...i'm so tired
34. Dan + Shay- Speechless
33. Marshmello/CHVRCHES- Here With Me
32. P!NK- Walk Me Home
31. Alec Benjamin- If We Have Each Other
30. Sam Smith/Normani- Dancing With A Stranger
29. Marshmello/BΔSTILLE- Happier
28. Halsey- Graveyard
27. Lizzo- Truth Hurts
26. Katy Perry- Never Really Over
25. Ed Sheeran/Justin Bieber- I Don't Care
24. OneRepublic- Rescue Me
23. Imagine Dragons- Bad Liar
22. Anne-Marie- 2002
21. Panic! At The Disco- Hey Look Ma, I Made It
20. Khalid/Disclosure- Talk
19. Ariana Grande- 7 Rings
18. Ariana Grande- thank u, next
17. The Chainsmokers/Bebe Rexha- Call You Mine
16. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie- ME!
15. Panic! At The Disco- High Hopes
14. Post Malone/Swae Lee- Sunflower
13. Billie Eilish- bad guy
12. Post Malone- Circles
11. Lizzo- Good As Hell
10. Alec Benjamin- Let Me Down Slowly
9. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus- Old Town Road (Remix)
8. Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello- Señorita
7. 5 Seconds Of Summer- Easier
6. Ava Max- Sweet But Psycho
5. MAX/Quinn XCII- Love Me Less
4. The Chainsmokers/5 Seconds Of Summer- Who Do You Love
3. Ellie Goulding/Diplo/Swae Lee- Close To Me
2. Shawn Mendes- If I Can't Have You
1. Jonas Brothers- Sucker

Overall Grading Scale:  173.5/225 = 77% (C)
1 Crap - (-1)
1 What The Hell - (0.5)
1 Bad - (1)
3 Mediocre - (6)
1 Mediocrely Decent - (2.5)
8 Decent - (24)
2 Decently Good - (7)
8 Good - (32)
4 Really Good - (18)
11 Great - (55)
2 Amazing - (11)
2 Amazingly Oustanding - (11.5)
1 Best Song - (6)


Anyways thanks for taking the time to view this. It took a while to do this (3 days). Stay tuned for more Year-End posts!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment